Why Fluent in 3 Months Premium Is Worthwhile for Any Language Learner
Welcome to Fluent in 3 Months (FI3M) Premium, the multifaceted tool every language learner needs to organize, assess, supplement and improve their study routine.
Whereas other language learning programs amass a collection of discrete lessons that you can learn, this program goes beyond that and presents you with a world of possibility.
I promise, I’m not being melodramatic here. The experience of playing with FI3M has been quite fun, and I’m eager to share what I’ve discovered over the course of hours of clicking, tapping, exploring and studying.
- Should You Start Learning with Fluent in 3 Months Premium?
- The Real Value of Fluent in 3 Months (FI3M) Premium
- Other FI3M Resources to Use with Fluent in 3 Months Premium
- The 4 Must-know Elements of Fluent in 3 Months Premium
- My Final Words on Fluent in 3 Months Premium
Should You Start Learning with Fluent in 3 Months Premium?
Well, that’s a big question. It boils down to this: It depends on you and your needs.
If you’re already enrolled in the language learning course of your dreams, getting immersed in your target language at every opportunity, learning in an effective and fun way, and overall you’re happy as a clam, this might not be a necessary addition to your study lineup.
Of course, there’s always more to learn. Any language nerd knows that.
There are always more diverse learning methods and materials to explore.
And there’s always a way to improve your brain’s ability to learn a language.
That’s why, as an avid language learner who has been playing around with Fluent in 3 Months Premium for the better part of a week, I’m inclined to say “yes, you should try this program” to virtually any language learner.
In the world of language learning, I’ve never really encountered a site like this one. At my disposal are tips, tricks, fast and friendly language learning support, resources, materials, customized study routine guides and hours upon hours of exclusive content from all the big names in the polyglot universe.
The Real Value of Fluent in 3 Months (FI3M) Premium
FI3M Premium offers plenty of specific resources for learning a diversity of target languages, including:
- American Sign Language
- Other Languages
The “Other Languages” sections will give you more generalized study plans, as well as access to external resources for learning tons of major world languages and more obscure tongues with few available study resources.
So, you’ll get solid guidance related to any target language of your choosing.
The real value lies beyond this. This program is not really designed to teach you your target language—it doesn’t have its own original course materials. Instead, it takes you by the hand and leads you to the best of the best learning resources online, most of which are free or extremely cheap. At first, I thought this was a weakness of the program. Then I realized that I was misunderstanding the actual purpose of the FI3M package.
The real value is that this program is designed to teach you how to learn languages. It’s the ultimate self-study tool, and will get your brain in gear for learning any language you set your mind to. The fact that it lets you pick and choose from the amazing stuff that’s already out there online, rather than trying to compete with what already exists, turns out to be a strength.
What doesn’t really exist is a way to train your brain to learn languages better, and to “hack” your way through complex course materials with the right mentality, attitude and approaches for you.
As we’ve discussed often and in great depth on the FluentU blogs, the main challenge of learning is getting to truly know yourself and how you learn best. To do this, you’ll need to discover:
- Your preferred learning style (kinesthetic, auditory, visual, etc.)
- Your favorite learning materials (television shows, movies, textbooks, online courses, language labs, immersion, etc.)
- Your most powerful, personal motivation to learn your target language
- How to fit language learning into your daily lifestyle
- Where to find learning materials that cater to the above factors
- How to stay positive in the face of setbacks
- How to set and accomplish realistic goals on a daily basis
- How to make your brain more receptive to a new language
And guess what? FI3M Premium was created to help you figure out all the above points.
Other FI3M Resources to Use with Fluent in 3 Months Premium
As long as you’re here, you’ll definitely want to take the opportunity to delve into the whole collection of language learning resources on FI3M.
You can learn more about Conversation Countdown in this post (click here) and about the various “Why X Is Easy” e-books on our language-specific blogs. Access these individual reviews by following the links below:
- “Why Spanish Is Easy”
- “Why Italian Is Easy”
- “Why French Is Easy”
- “Why German Is Easy”
- “Why English Is Easy”
- “Why Chinese Is Easy”
The 4 Must-know Elements of Fluent in 3 Months Premium
1. Language Hacking
Everyone’s talking about hacking this and hacking that, to the point where I very rarely pay credence to the term. This time, since I was sitting down to review the program, I paid closer attention to use of the work “hacking.”
I wondered, “does it really apply, or is it just a buzzword to catch my eye?”
Answer: It applies.
I might have suggested the more precise phrase “Brain Hacker” in place of “Language Hacker,” as you’re not actually going to be doing anything to hack languages. You’re going to hack your own mind (dun-dun-dun). So you’re on the same page, I’ll walk you through the major offerings of the “Language Hacker” module in FI3M Premium.
You’ll get access to:
- Speak from Day 1 Video Series — This is basically a simplified version of Conversation Countdown. You’ll find a whole new set of videos hosted by Benny, which have tons of his personal recommendations, walkthroughs of favorite resources and his patented pep talks. To get started talking in one week, I prefer the Conversation Countdown option as it’s more thorough.
That being said, Speak from Day 1 has a few advantages. There are comprehension questions below each video, so you can check how well you understand the concepts Benny is presenting. There are checklists to help you keep track of your progress at every step. Plus, you get to have all the videos neatly organized in one place (on your FI3M dashboard) rather than having to click through the series of Conversation Countdown emails when you want to revisit lessons.
- Premium Video Tutorials — It’s Benny, Benny and more Benny! Here he’ll walk you through using some of the best online resources for learning languages, like web-based dictionaries, phrasebooks, language exchange services and more. This is an ideal place for less-technologically-gifted folks to linger and learn how to navigate popular language-oriented websites.
- (Extended) Masterclass Video Interviews — Bask in the warm glow of polyglot gurus. Here you’ll find endless inspiration and wisdom from Benny Lewis and the whole Fluent in 3 Months team, plus Luca Lampariello, Khatzumoto from All Japanese All The Time and more legends in the language learning sphere. These intimate, one-on-one interviews between Benny and language experts aren’t short video clips—some go on for up to an hour, and they’re loaded with great insights.
- Conversational Connectors — Here are the original language learning materials that FI3M produced on its own. For all the featured languages (listed above) and then some, you’ll find PDF files with “conversation connectors,” which are natural-sounding phrases to confirm understanding, express opinions and segue between sentences while chatting. This is a really neat way to learn how to converse fluidly without being fluent!
2. Language Immersion
Ah, a more familiar phrase: Language immersion. This collection of materials is broken down by which languages you’d like to learn. Choose a language to get started!
- Immersion Resources — For all the offered languages I listed previously, FI3M provides two sets of resources: (1) Sample Daily Schedule and (2) Ultimate Resource Collection. The Sample Daily Schedule paints a picture of a day in the life of a completely immersed student, detailed what types of activities you could be doing at any given moment from the time you wake up until you’re dozing off at night. The Ultimate Resource Guide is exactly what it sounds like… a mega list of resources online that learners can utilize to build different skills.
- Your Routine — This is a cool blank form where you can manually add “events” to the Morning, Afternoon and Evening sections of the schedule. It’s modeled just like the Sample Daily Schedules from earlier, so you can use those as reference sheets.
3. FAQ and Friendly Support
This is relatively straightforward, but it’s nice to know that the FI3M team is always looking out for you. I asked a question about the program and got a helpful, informative response within a few hours.
4. The FI3M Library
- Language Hacking Guide — This is available in its original English version, a multilingual version translated into 23 languages, and an audiobook version. Apparently, this was the original inspiration for the “Fluent in 3 Months” book, which is now famous worldwide.
- Media for Language Practice — To learn with authentic materials, make a quick stop here for some additional resource recommendations.
- CEFRL — Looking to learn more about the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages? Well, there’s nothing written by FI3M on this topic yet. However, this page promises expansions to the information here in the near future, and it points you towards some top-notch materials. Keep an eye out for more resources coming soon!
- FI3M Director’s Cut — You may already know about the “Fluent in 3 Months” book that’s swept the world by storm. This is the director’s cut, an extended version including more tips and tricks that didn’t fit into the market version’s word count.
My Final Words on Fluent in 3 Months Premium
I’ll keep this sweet and simple. You’ve seen exactly what kind of resources are offered here, and the kind of program you can create and follow. As I’ve noted before, this has plenty of benefits for learners of any language at any skill level.
FI3M Premium is more than ready to become your new fortress of linguistics, your new control center for all things language learning. Considering that you’ll have access to so much information for such a low price—even including that famous “Fluent in 3 Months” book that every language nerd has been talking about—it’s worth the investment.
Maureen Stimola is a Vermont native, serial expat and language addict who has learned Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese and Kichwa. Follow her on Twitter!