6 Flashy Portuguese Flashcard Apps for for iPhone, Android and Windows Phones
Portuguese flashcard apps come in many shapes and sizes, giving you as little or as much control of your memory cues as you wish.
And you can count on me to guide you along while you’re choosing the best app for your abilities, learning styles and goals.
- BH Inc’s Portuguese Flashcards
- Fun Easy Learn
- What Makes Portuguese Flashcards so Special?
- How Portuguese Flashcard Apps Will Take Your Learning to the Next Level
BH Inc’s Portuguese Flashcards
Android | iOS
With a list of more than 4000 pre-made flashcards at your disposal, this app offers its users a variety of ways to memorize new words. Slide shows, study guides, quizzes and games are part of the package, though this app comes with a few limitations.
While the Android version is free to download, you’ll have to pay for the iOS app. The main difference between the two is that the latter allows you to download an unlimited number of cards for offline use, and gives you access to a special text-to-speech feature.
iOS | Android
This app takes authentic Portuguese videos and turns them into personalized lessons through customized quizzes and flashcards. The flashcards include a definition, an image, grammar info, example sentences and an audio clip for each card, as well as clips from other videos where the word is used in the same context.
After watching a video, you’re given a list of new vocabulary words to play with through interactive quizzes as well as your traditional flashcard memorization techniques. In addition to the app, you can also access the program on the FluentU website in your browser.
Android | iOS | Windows
You might have heard of Anki before—it’s quite popular with language learners all around. And for a very good reason: Not only can you download open-source, user-created Portuguese flashcards, the app also helps you close in on the words you’re struggling with the most.
Basically, to ensure your learning is nice and efficient, the app will keep showing you the cards you’re having trouble with until you’ve nailed them. Just remember that this app prioritizes customization. If you want to hear words being spoken back at you, for example, you’ll need to set up your flashcards accordingly.
Anki is great if you want more control of your learning—but if you’re more comfortable with pre-made cards, you might want to opt for other apps on our list.
Android | iOS
The Brainscape flashcard app is a treasure trove of user-based knowledge. Students, teachers, professors and native speakers are among the many creators of this app’s extensive collection of study guides.
Like Anki and others, you can find flashcards and create your own—the app enables users to upload videos and images, track their progress, work collaboratively and share their learning milestones with their peers. Brainscape is free to use, with the option of a monthly subscription for those who would like to make the most out of special features like bookmarks, ad-free cards and premium-only content.
StudyBlue has a similar premise to Brainscape. The flashcard app is free to download and use, with the option of a premium subscription service for ad-free, unlimited access to the website’s entire course collection.
Where StudyBlue differs is that, for the most part, their collection of Portuguese flashcards has been created by students learning the language at a college level. It lacks the ranking system you’d find on Brainscape’s website, but you can always preview cards before downloading them. Or, again, create your own—and share them with the rest of the community.
As you can already tell, some Portuguese language apps are more comprehensive than others. If you want to start applying your newly-learned vocab right away, you’ll find plenty of apps that combine flashcards with games, fun exercises and quizzes. Here are some of our favorites to get you started.
Fun Easy Learn
Android | iOS
Fun Easy Learn is a user-friendly app that has been created with visual and auditory learners in mind. True to its name, the app is packed with games, word lists, flashcards and graphics for learners of different levels. It’s completely free of charge, offering unrestricted access to a 6000-word vocabulary list spanning 140 different thematic subjects.
What Makes Portuguese Flashcards so Special?
Simplicity is a flashcard’s strongest asset.
What you see is literally what you get: words and pictures, questions and answers, everything you need to know in a handy, double-sided format.
If you need a bit of convincing, here are some of the different ways flashcards will assist with your learning:
- If you’re more responsive to visual guides, flashcards will tap right into your affinities. Images can be used with words to help you grasp the basics of the language without a hitch.
- As a matter of fact, all flashcards can be personalized based on their owners’ learning styles and objectives. Whether you’re trying to brush up on your verb infinitives, or you’d like to memorize some key vocab phrases, they’re completely yours to play around with.
- Likewise, flashcards are designed for repetition. With repetition comes improved memorization, which will get you leading the way into fluency. What’s not to love about that?
The great thing is, you no longer have to rely on physical cards to get some meaningful practice (not unless you really want to, at least). Just look at what awaits the tech-savvy learners among us.
How Portuguese Flashcard Apps Will Take Your Learning to the Next Level
Flashcards are better than ever, thanks to the ever-evolving world of smartphone technology. With Portuguese flashcard apps, you’ll get all the benefits of a traditional card set, with an additional touch of efficiency:
- You’ll never be short of options, as many developers have created apps for both Brazilian and European Portuguese study.
- Bulky cards, which can easily get lost or damaged, are now a thing of the past. Everything is safely stored in a single place, ready to be used to its fullest potential.
- With your app helping you track your progress, you won’t be able to sabotage your learning by peeking at the answers.
- Even better: Your phone is always with you, so you can access your flashcards at any given time. Waiting for the bus? Got time to spare before your next appointment? Power up your app of choice and get practicing!
And there you have it!
With so many flashcard apps at your fingertips, you’re bound to boost your Portuguese knowledge with the flick of your smartphone.
Start downloading and working on your memorization of Portuguese vocabulary today.