The Top 11 TOEFL Books to Get You Exam Ready for 2022-2023
Are you looking for a great TOEFL book?
Everyone needs a good TOEFL book to help them get the best possible score on their exam.
Textbooks are versatile study tools that can assist you with all aspects of test prep, not just grammar and vocabulary. But there are plenty of other types of TOEFL books out there!
TOEFL is such a well-known test that there are countless, great books written on everything related to it—from speaking topics to note-taking strategies.
We’ve narrowed our list down to the top 11 to get you started.
Keep reading to learn more!
- TOEFL Textbooks
- 1. “ETS Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT Test, 6th Edition”
- 2. “Princeton Review TOEFL iBT Prep with Audio/Listening Tracks, 2022″
- 3. “TOEFL iBT Prep Plus 2020/2021 with 4 Practice Tests”
- 4. “TOEFL iBT Guide: 2022-2023 Preparation Book, Practice Test, Strategies & Review”
- 5. “TOEFL iBT: with 8 Online Practice Tests (Barron’s Test Prep), 17th Edition”
- 6. “Essential Words for the TOEFL (Barron’s Test Prep), 7th Edition”
- 7. “TOEFL Preparation Book 2022-2023: Exam Study Guide with 3 TOEFL iBT Practice Tests for Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing/Essay”
- TOEFL Grammar Books
- 8. “TOEFL Grammar Guide: 23 Grammar Rules You Must Know to Guarantee Your Success on the TOEFL Exam!”
- 9. “The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation”
- 10. “The Only Grammar & Style Workbook You’ll Ever Need: A One-Stop Practice and Exercise Book for Perfect Writing”
- 11. “Practice Makes Perfect: English Grammar for ESL Learners, 4th Edition”
TOEFL textbooks cover all aspects of the test—preparing you for all of its sections and they also work great as general study guides.
Here are just some examples of topics TOEFL books may cover:
- Test structure and format
- Assessment of language skills
- Targeted exercises and topics to improve grammar, writing and reading skills
In addition, there are numerous books written about TOEFL in languages other than English. You can probably find a textbook written with some explanations in your native language!
This is invaluable for students with an intermediate level of English or lower. Additionally, many books might be available entirely in your native language and sold in your local bookstores.
Let’s take a look at our TOEFL book picks now.
1. “ETS Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT Test, 6th Edition”
This is the official textbook released by the organization that administers the test. It gets republished fairly regularly and contains the most up-to-date information on the TOEFL and its requirements.
This is the safest bet when you want to have the most relevant and useful information.
2. “Princeton Review TOEFL iBT Prep with Audio/Listening Tracks, 2022″
This book is updated every year. It is a comprehensive resource for TOEFL preparation that has good listening and speaking exercises and sound advice on test-taking strategies.
The audio tracks are available as streaming files online.
3. “TOEFL iBT Prep Plus 2020/2021 with 4 Practice Tests”
The major advantage of this well-written, academic resource by Kaplan are the practice tests.
Every textbook provides test examples and mini-tests, but this particular TOEFL book includes the biggest number of practice tests available.
Along with the standard CD/MP3 resources, you also get instructional videos!
4. “TOEFL iBT Guide: 2022-2023 Preparation Book, Practice Test, Strategies & Review”
This book will allow you to test your heart out once you have had enough studying!
It is best reserved for weekly and monthly progress evaluations, but this book should nonetheless be listed close to the top of our recommendations, as it offers a full-length, simulated TOEFL iBT with audio sections available as streaming files online.
5. “TOEFL iBT: with 8 Online Practice Tests (Barron’s Test Prep), 17th Edition”
Once you know what to expect from the TOEFL, you need to practice, practice and practice more.
This exercise book has 8 full-length practice tests, 8 one-hour practice tests, four video lessons, online PowerPoint presentations, and online audio files.
There are also MP3 audio files and 200 campus flashcards.
6. “Essential Words for the TOEFL (Barron’s Test Prep), 7th Edition”
This book targets the very necessary vocabulary skills every TOEFL taker should have. The book focuses on approximately 500 essential words that will help you do well on the test.
Because vocabulary building is a highly personal subject—this guide is best used as a complementary vocabulary resource rather than a primary one.
7. “TOEFL Preparation Book 2022-2023: Exam Study Guide with 3 TOEFL iBT Practice Tests for Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing/Essay”
This is one of the most comprehensive TOEFL study guides out there.
It offers test-taking strategies, a study prep plan, three practice tests for reading, listening, speaking and writing essays with audio links included, as well as detailed answers and explanations.
TOEFL Grammar Books
Grammar is essential for getting high scores in the writing and speaking sections of the TOEFL exam. We’ve listed our choice of grammar books for you below.
8. “TOEFL Grammar Guide: 23 Grammar Rules You Must Know to Guarantee Your Success on the TOEFL Exam!”
Not only is this book easy to follow, but it is also written about grammar specifically with the TOEFL in mind.
It tackles the rules of English grammar that are most useful for the test in an easy-to-understand, logical way.
9. “The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation”
This is one of the most popular guides to English grammar, now in its 12th edition, and it is easy to see why everyone likes to use it. It is well-written, accessible and very concise.
The grammar rules are all very clearly explained without getting too complicated. It also offers numerous examples, worksheets and tests.
10. “The Only Grammar & Style Workbook You’ll Ever Need: A One-Stop Practice and Exercise Book for Perfect Writing”
Explaining grammar with writing tasks in mind, this book is a great tool for addressing your grammar weaknesses when writing TOEFL essays.
It is easy to follow and covers a lot of different writing assignments and of course, essays.
11. “Practice Makes Perfect: English Grammar for ESL Learners, 4th Edition”
When you need just a little bit of extra help with your English language studies, it’s a good idea to look for resources targeted specifically at non-native English speakers.
This book takes into account the most common difficulties ESL learners encounter with English grammar—using examples and accessible language to explain concepts clearly.
With thousands of books on TOEFL and hundreds of thousands of books for ESL students out there, choosing the right one for you can be challenging.
With our top 11 TOEFL book suggestions above, you’re sure to find the right one for you.
Happy studying and good luck!