55 Funny Spanish Words and Other Sayings That Are Fun to Pronounce
It’s no secret that the Spanish language has some words that seem impossible for English speakers to say.
Fortunately, they’re lots of fun to try to say… even if you don’t succeed at first.
So don’t let those tricky words scare you—instead, embrace them!
The following list contains 55 fun Spanish words that will help you increase your vocabulary and drill your pronunciation skills at the same time.
Funny Spanish Words and Sayings
- Chisgarabís — Nonsense
- Babalucas — Scatterbrain
- Tocapelotas — Pain in the neck
- Espantapájaros — Scarecrow
- Cucurucho — Cone (ice cream cone)
- Zampabollos — Glutton
- Patatús — Faint (meaning a loss of consciousness)
- Calamidad — Calamity
- Fideo — Noodle
- Petimetre — Dandy
- Chirimbolo — Gizmo
- Borrico — Donkey
- Bocazas — Big mouth (referring to someone who talks too much)
- Alboroto — Hubbub
- Mangurrino — Fool
- Zascandil — Rascal
- Chocante — Shocking or scandalous
- Zurumbático — Whacky or eccentric
- Chismoso / Chimosa — Gossipy
- Fufú — Nonsense or gibberish
- Esperpéntico / Esperpéntica — Absurd or ridiculous
- Me importa un pimiento — I don’t care at all (literally, “I care as much as a pepper”)
- Estoy en las nubes — I’m daydreaming (literally, “I’m in the clouds”)
- Más perdido que un pulpo en un garaje — More lost than an octopus in a garage
- Estar en las últimas — To be on your last legs
- Ser más pesado / a que una vaca en brazos — To be heavier than a cow in one’s arms (referring to someone who is annoying or a burden)
- No hay tu tía — It’s impossible (literally, “your aunt is not here”)
- Estar en las manos de Morfeo — To be in the hands of Morpheus (referring to being asleep)
- Irse por las ramas — To beat around the bush (literally, “to go through the branches”)
- Tirar la casa por la ventana — To throw the house out the window (referring to excessive spending)
- Ser pan comido — To be a piece of cake (literally, “to be eaten bread”)
- Ir al grano — To get to the point (literally, “to go to the grain”)
- Ser más chulo que un ocho — To be cooler than an eight (about someone who thinks highly of themselves)
Spanish Words That Are Fun to Pronounce
- Entretenerse — To entertain oneself, to pass time
- Acariciar — To stroke/caress
- Escasez — Shortage/scarcity
- El heredero / Heredera — Heir
- Reñir — To scold, to argue
- Hallazgo — Discovery/finding
- Aburrimiento — Boredom
- Purpurina — Glitter
- Equilibrio — Balance
- Llovizna — Drizzle
- Relámpago — Lightning
- Albahaca — Basil
- Terciopelo — Velvet
- Ciudadano / Ciudadana — Citizen
- Murciélago — Bat (animal)
Looking for more fun Spanish words?
Check out this hilarious video and hear some Spanish learners attempting to pronounce Spanish words.
You could also try a language learning platform such as FluentU, where you can watch authentic Spanish videos with interactive subtitles. You can then test yourself on any new words you find with personalized flashcards and quizzes. Challenge yourself to find the funniest words possible!
Now you can look for ways to include the funny Spanish words and phrases you just learned in daily conversation!