6 HSK Apps to Help You Ace Your Chinese Proficiency Test
The HSK exam is also known as the Chinese Proficiency Test. It’s an official exam used to test the practical language ability of a Chinese speaker.
If you’re considering taking the HSK, you might be wondering how to properly prep for it.
Thankfully, we found some awesome HSK apps that will help prepare you for the Chinese Proficiency Test.
- Learn Chinese HSK
- HSK Chinese 1 to 6
- HSK Study and Exam – Supertest
- HSK Magic Chinese
- HSK Hero – Chinese Characters
- HSK Simulator
- How Can Apps Help Me Prepare for the HSK?
- And One More Thing...
Learn Chinese HSK
Learn Chinese HSK from Chinesimple has a ton of game-changing features, including:
- Picture-based flashcards for matching characters with their English translations
- A Chinese-English dictionary that includes English, pinyin and hanzi
- Hanzi, pinyin and tone-based minigames
- A progress tracker to help you assess how well you’re doing
- Handwriting and stroke order practice
This app is unique in that it’s visually pleasing and very user-friendly. It’s the perfect app to use if you want multiple ways to study for the HSK. Chinese HSK is free to use but does have periodic ads that can be a bit annoying.
The developer has separate Chinese HSK apps for test levels 1-6, so you can easily choose an app that will help you ace whichever HSK test you plan on taking.
HSK Chinese 1 to 6
HSK Chinese 1 to 6 from gab.cue is wonderfully unique in its massive database of over 1,600 words.
This app quizzes you on each aspect of Chinese that you need to know for the HSK, including comprehension, writing, tones and pronunciation.
You can create your own lists of vocabulary words to study as well. Think of this as the ultimate flashcard app for studying for the HSK.
Within the app, you can select the appropriate level for whichever HSK test you plan on taking. HSK Chinese is free with minimal ads, which means fewer interruptions while you study!
HSK Study and Exam – Supertest
iOS | Android
This clean, attractive, knowledge-packed app is perfect for HSK studiers who want a realistic simulation of what the test will actually be like. It also covers each level of the HSK.
HSK Online provides the following:
- Mock online testing and model exams
- Simulation exercises
- Study reports and a study plan creator
- An authoritative report with error explanations after you complete mock tests to improve future exam strategies
- Access to professional tutors and the option for one-on-one tutoring
This app is free to download, but a lot of the bells and whistles (most notably the tutor access) do cost a fee. However, you may find that it’s less expensive to use this app than to hire a tutor.
HSK Magic Chinese
Do you need help understanding spoken Chinese? This app from Intisol covers all the bases of HSK levels 1-4, but it focuses on the comprehension and listening parts the most.
Here’s some of what HSK Magic Chinese offers:
- Authentic audio clips from native speakers
- A well-programmed flashcard algorithm
- Explanations of different Chinese grammar rules
- Tone focus
This app is free to use with absolutely no ads, which is pretty sweet! There are some additional in-app purchases you can make for special features, but the free version is absolutely valuable for studying for the HSK.
HSK Hero – Chinese Characters
iOS | Android
Some of us just learn things better if it’s in a game format. If this sounds like you, Chinese Character Hero is the HSK study app for you!
This app focuses on teaching you hanzi and their meanings quickly through a recall and recognition process. This process helps learners retain Chinese characters in their minds long-term.
How it works:
- Select a group of words at your appropriate level
- Read the pinyin and English definition
- Select the correct hanzi from a list of nine characters
You can also click the “hint” button for a little extra help. This app isn’t only great for prepping you for the HSK, but it’s also kind of addictive!
While this app from Carlos Mucuho could certainly use a bit of an interface makeover, it’s one of the most straightforward apps on this list for HSK test practice. It’s simple with no extra features getting in the way—just plain helpful mock tests.
You’ll select a mock test at your appropriate level from either the Listening, Reading or Writing categories.
Then the app times you while you answer questions. The look and feel of this mock test are almost identical to the actual HSK. You see your score afterward but won’t get an explanation of your incorrect answers, quite like the actual HSK.
You’ll need to download separate apps for your appropriate level. Currently, only HSK 4 and 5 are available. HSK Simulator is free to use with intermittent ads.
How Can Apps Help Me Prepare for the HSK?
- All of the apps on this list are specifically designed to help you study for different levels of the HSK, and they’re based on past test versions and vocabulary difficulty. Each HSK test level changes in content every year. If you took the HSK last year, the questions will be different this year. These apps gather past vocabulary words and similar words for you to study for the best chances of passing.
- If you’re strapped for time and want to study on the go, a portable smartphone app is ideal. With HSK prep apps, you can brush up on your vocabulary words while riding the metro or eating lunch on your work break.
- A lot of HSK prep services cost a pretty penny, but most of these apps are free or cost very little to use. It makes sense that tutors for any kind of test prep prefer to be paid. However, not all of us have the resources to pay for a tutor. These apps are the next best thing!
- There are may apps available for learning that aren’t specifically meant for HSK prep. This means that even apps like FluentU, an immersion learning program, can be used to prepare you for the test.
FluentU takes authentic videos—like music videos, movie trailers, news and inspiring talks—and turns them into personalized language learning lessons.
Ready to kick some butt on that HSK?
No matter which level you’re trying to pass, there’s no feeling quite like getting that stamp of approval. Your hard work will pay off and you’ll have the certificate to prove it!
And One More Thing...
If you want to continue learning Chinese with interactive and authentic Chinese content, then you'll love FluentU.
FluentU naturally eases you into learning Chinese language. Native Chinese content comes within reach, and you'll learn Chinese as it's spoken in real life.
FluentU has a wide range of contemporary videos—like dramas, TV shows, commercials and music videos.
FluentU brings these native Chinese videos within reach via interactive captions. You can tap on any word to instantly look it up. All words have carefully written definitions and examples that will help you understand how a word is used. Tap to add words you'd like to review to a vocab list.
FluentU's Learn Mode turns every video into a language learning lesson. You can always swipe left or right to see more examples for the word you're learning.
The best part is that FluentU always keeps track of your vocabulary. It customizes quizzes to focus on areas that need attention and reminds you when it’s time to review what you’ve learned. You have a 100% personalized experience.
Start using the FluentU website on your computer or tablet or, better yet, download the FluentU app from the iTunes or Google Play store. Click here to take advantage of our current sale! (Expires at the end of this month.)