When is someone really fluent in Chinese?
One indicator of fluency is being able to pick exactly the right word to convey exactly the right point. What separates native from non-native speakers is that native speakers are able to feel the nuances that distinguish one word from another.
Unfortunately, for Chinese learners, attaining this level of mastery usually means years and years of trial-and-error.
How will Chinese Vocabulary help you become fluent?
Our Chinese Vocabulary series will put you on a (relatively) fast track to understanding the nuances of Chinese words. In the spirit of the overall FluentU blog, we will:
- Select pairs of Chinese words that are commonly used and seem similar
- Identify their key similarities and differences
- Provide you numerous, real world examples equipping you to use those words
What are you waiting for? Check out our Chinese Vocabulary posts below:
- Chinese Vocabulary: Did the rebel alliance 对抗 or 反抗 Darth Vader?
- Chinese Vocabulary: How do you say wealth in Chinese? 财产 vs. 财富
- Chinese Vocabulary: Bet you don’t know the difference between 签名 and 签字
- Chinese Vocabulary: Don’t misrepresent yourself in Chinese court！权利 vs. 权益
- Chinese Vocabulary: 权力 vs. 权利 showdown
- Chinese Vocabulary: How do you say you “lack” something? 缺少 vs 缺乏
- Chinese Vocabulary: When you’re feeling defiant – 不服
- Chinese Vocabulary: How to say plan – 计划 vs. 规划
- Chinese Vocabulary: How to say “that’s a bit of a stretch” – 牵强
- Chinese Vocabulary: How to say someone looks refined in a scholarly sort of way – 文绉绉
- Chinese Vocabulary: Are you ‘in the know’? 消息灵通
- Chinese Vocabulary: China has many kinds of fools – 傻子 vs 呆子
- Chinese Vocabulary: In case you’re feeling lonely… 孤单 vs. 寂寞
- Chinese Vocabulary | 4 ways to respond to compliments or flattery
- Use the right “experience” at your Chinese job interview
- 5 Ways to Say “Excuse Me” in Public
- China’s New “Her Economy” and “Mistress Experts”
- How To Describe Chinese TV Show Host “Losing His Cool”
- A Chinese Saying for Our Favorite Knick Jeremy Lin
- Chinese Words for “Fake”: 山寨 vs 盗版 vs 假冒
- Hot on Weibo: Use One Phrase To Prove You’ve Been to School
- Hot on Weibo: Top 10 Chinese Pet Phrases
- 3 Ways to Say Funny: 好笑 vs 可笑 vs 幽默
- Pizza in Beijing? Gotta Find the “Original Juice!”
- Hot on Weibo: Top 8 Childhood Words
- Going with the Flow: Bandwagoners in Chinese
- Understanding, Honesty, and Waste: Abstract Meanings of 白
- Hot on Weibo: “My Mom is Always Saying…”
- Uncovering 黑: Three Abstract Meanings
- No Nonsense Newbie Tips: Four 喜欢 Alternatives
- No Nonsense Newbie Tips: 6 非常 Alternatives
- Bargaining 101: 5 Words to Get That Deal
- No Nonsense Newbie Tips: Alternatives to “一点”
- The Many Varieties of “上班族”
- Bargaining 102: Top 5 Phrases To Seal The Deal
- Eating Bitterness, Shock & Some Strength
- Spike Up Your Energy & Pump That Gas!
- How Chinese Model Would React To 9 Months Jail Time
- 8 Christmas Words For Your List
- Top Slang Phrases Of 2012
- Chengyu For Baidu’s New Image Search Engine
- Stuck On Third Wheel Syndrome
- Top 10 Chinese New Year’s Words
- The Consulting Vocabulary List in Chinese
- Who Knew That Chinese Fruits Were Under So Much Pressure
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn Chinese with real-world videos.