Title: Staff Writer
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate
Location: Anywhere, remote
Employment Type: Part time or full time
Are you in love with learning or teaching languages?
Do you want your writing to make an impact on a huge audience?
Would you like to be part of a team of top-notch language bloggers?
Our blog posts reach millions of readers, and our goal is to create the best language learning blogs anywhere.
[box] This post was last updated on June 25, 2020. Please note that we’re also hiring for other positions (
This job might be for you if you:
- enjoy the stability of an hourly rate
- like being able to set your hours and work from home
- don’t like drumming up new business or chasing down clients
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- are tired of working on one-off projects that don’t build up to anything meaningful
- like working in a collaborative environment
- want to make the world a better place
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment
- love experimentation and exercising your creativity
You should NOT take this job if you:
- are just looking for another client to add to your list of clients
- dislike hourly rates and prefer flat/per-word rates
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- are not comfortable in a fast-changing environment
- don’t have a real interest or experience in languages
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps) and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs and have 100,000+ people on our email list.
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Your workday is flexible—you decide where and when you work (as long as you get everything done on time!)
- Most of our communication is text-based
- We believe in continuous improvement and are constantly looking for better ways to get things done: Opinions and input are always welcome and encouraged
- We offer constructive feedback and opportunities for growth to every team member
As a staff writer, you will work collaboratively with blog editors, fellow staff writers and other members of the FluentU blog marketing team to complete a variety of writing tasks across our network of language blogs, including:
- Writing new blog posts
- Revamping historical blog content to improve its accuracy, freshness and off-page/on-page performance
- Writing content variations for A/B tests
- Creating strategic copy for infographics, CTAs and other blog marketing materials
- 1 year+ of experience with at least one of the following languages:
- Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Russian, English
- intermediate language level or better is ideal
- experience living abroad is a plus
- eager to guide our readers through all aspects of language learning—from grammar walkthroughs to study tips, favorite language apps—and to share your personal experiences
- capable of writing crisp and clear copy at the level of a native English speaker
- capable of adapting your writing style based on audience/objective, and master our “friendly expert” tone/voice
- tech-savvy (familiarity with WordPress and Asana is a bonus)
- a self-starter who can get your work done without someone checking in on you all the time
HOW TO APPLY
[button link=”https://form.asana.com?hash=20a9f16d3f500dff4d6e759ab591f08426f8db8b5b9ce5d40883d90a04e168b7&id=1180244342136897″ color=”#1cacec” window=”yes”]Click here to fill out the application[/button]