Title: Staff Writer (Russian Learner Blog)
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate
Location: Anywhere, remote
Employment Type: Part time or full time
Are you in love with learning or teaching Russian?
Do you want your writing to make an impact on a huge audience?
Would you like to be part of a team of top-notch language bloggers?
Our blog posts reach millions of readers, and our goal is to create the best language learning blogs anywhere.
This job might be for you if you:
- are proficient in Russian (B2/C1/C2 preferred)
- enjoy the stability of an hourly rate
- like being able to set your hours and work from home
- don’t like drumming up new business or chasing down clients
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- are tired of working on one-off projects that don’t build up to anything meaningful
- like working in a collaborative environment
- want to make the world a better place
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment
- love experimentation and exercising your creativity
You should NOT take this job if you:
- are a beginner or early-intermediate Russian learner
- are just looking for another client to add to your list of clients
- dislike hourly rates and prefer flat/per-word rates
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- are not comfortable in a fast-changing environment
- don’t have a real interest or experience in languages
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps) and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs and have 100,000+ people on our email list.
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Your workday is flexible—you decide where and when you work (as long as you get everything done on time!)
- Most of our communication is text-based
- We believe in continuous improvement and are constantly looking for better ways to get things done: Opinions and input are always welcome and encouraged
- We offer constructive feedback and opportunities for growth to every team member
As a staff writer, you will work collaboratively with blog editors, fellow staff writers and other members of the FluentU blog marketing team to complete a variety of writing tasks across our network of language blogs.
While your main focus will be content creation for the Russian Learner blog, you are welcome to contribute to our other language blogs if you’re skilled with other languages. There will also be writing tasks that don’t require foreign language skills. Your main tasks will include:
- Writing new Russian blog posts
- Revamping historical Russian blog content to improve its accuracy, freshness and off-page/on-page performance
- Writing content variations for A/B tests
- Creating strategic copy for infographics, CTAs and other blog marketing materials
- 3+ years of experience with Russian
- B2/C1/C2 preferred (self-assessed okay, no certification required)
- experience living abroad is a plus
- eager to guide our readers through all aspects of language learning—from grammar walkthroughs to study tips, favorite language apps—and to share your personal experiences
- capable of writing crisp and clear copy at the level of a native English speaker
- capable of adapting your writing style based on audience/objective, and master our “friendly expert” tone/voice
- tech-savvy (familiarity with WordPress and Asana is a bonus)
- a self-starter who can get your work done without someone checking in on you all the time
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the Russian staff writer role, please click here to fill out the application.