Are you an analytics engineer looking to take the next step in your career?
Are you looking for a company where DBT is central to their data workflow?
Are you looking for a company where remote is built into the company DNA, and not coronavirus-induced?
Do you want to work at a company where the leadership is engaged with BI and sees it as a strategic priority?
Do you want a central role in crafting the BI strategy, and building a data team?
Do you want to reach and make a positive impact on millions of people?
Note: this post was last updated on June 24, 2020.
Note: we’re also hiring for other positions (https://www.fluentu.com/blog/jobs-at-fluentu/)
This job might be for you if you:
- like being able to set your own hours and work from home
- like exercising your creativity and experimentation
- like having responsibility
- like working collaboratively
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- want to make the world a better place
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment.
You should NOT take this job if you:
- have a strong need/desire for in-person social interaction at work
- dislike asynchronous communication
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- don’t have a real interest or experience in online education.
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually among the top 50 grossing iOS education apps), and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded. And we’ve been remote/distributed since day one.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs, 100,000+ people on our email list, and many more receiving web and mobile notifications.
This is a unique opportunity to play a pivotal role on our business intelligence strategy, which is still in the early stages. We’ve worked with a reputable consultancy until now, and you’ll be our first dedicated hire focused specifically on BI data engineering, empowered to build a program from the foundation up.
As our first analytics engineer, you will be responsible for:
- working in an agile/kanban style methodology while balancing long-term data modeling & infrastructure planning
- interpreting & executing analytics feature requests from senior stakeholders
- planning & documenting work to be done, with regular feedback to stakeholders to minimize unnecessary work
- maintaining & improving the entire data pipeline from start to finish, from extracting data from SaaS API’s to configuring display options/creating charts for end users in Looker, eg:
- using data-extractor-as-a-service tools such as Stitch to extract data on a scheduled basis & oversee automated loading behavior
- Creating & maintaining proprietary extraction tools, such as Bash scripts on Google Cloud instances
- managing the DBT ETL pipeline
- acting as Looker Admin (development, security & administration)
- Using software engineering best-practices (such as version control, component-based software/architecture, DRY code etc).
- Implementing testing frameworks & subjecting all work to QA
You would work closely with the founder of FluentU (https://www.linkedin.com/in/alancpark/) and our other leadership.
HOW WE WORK
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Almost all of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we value clear communication (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/communication-guidelines), among other things (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/mission-and-operating-principles).
- Most things are not urgent. We take pride in having a calm work environment.
- We also have a flat collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason.
- We believe in getting things done and continuous improvement.
Our ideal candidate:
- can work in a fast-paced environment and be responsive to new requirements
- is terrific at written communication
- can explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- understands basic principles around content marketing
- is comfortable managing their own time and workflow independently
- can juggle multiple projects & work streams concurrently
- has most or all of the following technical skills:
- experience working collaboratively using Git
- has strong SQL skills (we use BigQuery Standard SQL)
- understands data modelling concepts, à la Kimball dimensional modelling
- exceptional understanding of data manipulation (ie joins, data granularity, referential integrity, uniqueness/primary/foreign keys etc)
- some knowledge of sql database performance
- Looker, dbt & google cloud knowledge (can be easily learned if you possess the above skills)
- ideally linux/cloud architecture & python skills but these are not mandatory.
- has a deep interest in language learning or online education.
- is able to work a minimum of 25+ hours per week (pay is hourly: https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/why-we-have-hourly-pay-and-how-it-works-in-practice) and is looking for something long-term.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click here and fill out the form:
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn languages with real-world videos.