Do you have experience writing scripts that help people learn?
Does the prospect of consistent and reliable work excite you?
What about a low-stress environment to work at?
Do you want to reach and impact millions of people?
Hiring deadline: Ongoing
Note: we’re also hiring for other positions (
This job might be for you if you:
- have experience writing engaging video scripts in English
- enjoy writing to serve an audience
- enjoy working with a team
- have strong communication and organizational skills
- are self-motivated and can work independently and efficiently
- like setting your own work hours
Some other skills that are helpful but not required include:
- Copywriting experience
- Experience and/or interest in educational content
- Language learning experience
- Interest and/or experience on YouTube as a platform
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a popular website, iOS app, and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs, and we’re leveraging that to extend our reach on YouTube. We have several channels on YouTube that we’re looking to grow further:
- FluentU Chinese: https://www.youtube.com/user/FluentUChinese
- FluentU English: https://www.youtube.com/user/FluentUEnglish
- FluentU French: https://www.youtube.com/user/FluentUFrench
HOW WE WORK
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Almost all of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we value clear communication (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/communication-guidelines), among other things (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/mission-and-operating-principles).
- Most things are not urgent. We don’t work on a typical 9-5 schedule. We take pride in having a calm work environment.
- We also have a flat collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason.
- We believe in getting things done, candor, and continuous improvement.
WHAT THIS JOB IS ABOUT
You would be working our YouTube team lead, hosts, and editors to write scripts that engage and educate viewers.
Your daily tasks would include:
- Develop ideas and scripts based on keywords, briefs and educational material
- Write video scripts to be read and acted out by our video hosts
- Come up with video title variations to authentically describe our videos, while enticing a viewer to click. You will receive information on how these titles (or taglines) perform, upon which you’re expected to improve your titles.
- Be ready to experiment and change on the basis of data and team discussions
- Interact with creators, editors and team lead to bounce ideas off of, request changes and receive feedback
- Here are examples of some videos and scripts that we appreciate and admire:
Our ideal candidate:
- has deep experience as a scriptwriter
- has experience with digital marketing and with making videos for YouTube (experience with other platforms like Facebook would be a bonus)
- receives candid feedback with humbleness and a beginner’s/growth mindset
- has marketing acumen and understands that what matters is generating engagement with users
- understands pedagogy and how to make educational videos
- is comfortable with change and loves experimentation
- is looking for a meaningful mission and wants to create something great.
- is able to work a minimum of 25 hours per week (pay is hourly: https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/why-we-have-hourly-pay-and-how-it-works-in-practice) and is looking for something long-term.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click here and fill out the form: https://form.asana.com?k=O_TU16oUrwKgkjjUZT9hEg&d=638262073247
We’re very much looking forward to hearing from you!