Do you have experience writing scripts for an audience keen to learn?
Does the prospect of consistent and reliable work excite you? What about a low-stress environment to work at?
Are you looking for a company where you can work with an experienced team to take your writing skills to the next level?
Do you want to reach and impact millions of people?
This position is for a screenwriter with a passion for creating scripts that clearly transmit valuable information to a viewer while keeping it fun and engaging. The core topic of the writing will be language learning, which you will hopefully be interested in and/or experienced in!
We offer you a reliable, consistent partner, where there is always work to be done. We do our best to foster a stress-free environment, too! You’ll be able to give, as well as receive feedback, so your opinions and ideas will result in actual changes in our processes.
This position might also be a great way to learn new writing skills. Not only will you be assisted and supported by a friendly team, but you will also get to see, in real time, how your scripts perform with the audience.
If you can come up with unique ways to present old ideas, convey information in a fun/friendly way and keep someone watching, then keep on reading – you’ll be in good company with us!
Hiring deadline: Ongoing
Note: we’re also hiring for other positions (https://www.fluentu.com/blog/jobs-at-fluentu/)
- Experience writing scripts to be acted out on video
- Native control of the language you’ll be writing about. This position is currently open for English, however, we are also interested in hearing from you if you speak any other languages at a native level
- Strong attention to detail
- A keen eye for script tightness. Removing fluff and redundancy from scripts in very important
- Strong communication and organizational skills. You’ll be working with different people and need to be able to clearly communicate with everyone
- Strong creative sense, self-motivation, and an understanding of the video-making process
- Comfortable with a fast-changing environment. We carry out a lot of experiments, which sometimes means that we change directions and implement new processes often. You’ll need to be comfortable with this.
Nice to have’s
- Copywriting experience
- Experience and/or interest in educational content
- Language learning experience
- Interest and/or experience on YouTube as a platform
What your tasks include
- Develop ideas and scripts based on keywords, briefs and educational material.
- Develop your own unique ideas based on general language learning topics
- Write video scripts to be read and acted out by our video hosts
- Come up with video title variations to authentically describe our videos, while enticing a viewer to click. You will receive information on how these titles (or taglines) perform, upon which you’re expected to improve your titles.
- Be ready to experiment and change on the basis of data and team discussions
- Interact with creators, editors and team lead to bounce ideas off of, request changes and receive feedback
- Provide any other support to make sure that the script meets FluentU’s standards
- Here are examples of some videos and scripts that we appreciate and admire:
What you will get
- Reliable, recurring and stable work. You’ll be starting at ~20 hours/week plus our team has a lot of moving parts and we like to experiment a lot, which means that there is always work to be done. Once a script is done, you can move on to the next one! We are also looking for long-term partners, so if you think this is you, make sure to apply!
- The support of multiple team members. We keep a pretty open line of communication between all levels, so it’s easy to approach other people with questions and requests, meaning you’re never left in the dark.
- A low-stress environment. We don’t work on a typical 9-5 schedule and we set our own deadlines on a general consensus, which has resulted in very little stress in the workplace
- The ability to impact millions of people through language learning. FluentU as a company has been operating since 2011 and has one of the biggest language learning blogs in the world. Our Youtube channel is an extension of that and you’ll be able to take part in its construction!
- A place to grow as a professional and take your skill to the next level. Through rounds of feedback and real-world performance analysis, you’ll be able to constantly improve your writing skills
- Set your own hours. Although we try to keep clear communication and get back to each other in a timely manner, you’ll be able to set your own hours!
This job is not for you if
- You don’t like fast-changing environments
- You don’t like the idea of communicating and talking with multiple people on every project
- You dislike the idea of having to change your approach to writing based on how it does
- You dislike the idea of being able to stick to a publishing schedule of at least one (though likely more) scripts per week
How to apply
Please click here and fill out the form: https://form.asana.com?k=O_TU16oUrwKgkjjUZT9hEg&d=638262073247
We’re very much looking forward to hearing from you!
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a popular website, iOS app, and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs, and we’re leveraging that to extend our reach on YouTube.
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn languages with real-world videos.