Are you experienced with all aspects of storytelling?
Are you tired of working with startups in danger of going out of business, or bureaucratic, huge businesses?
Do you want to reach and make positive impact on millions of people?
Note: this post was last updated on June 10, 2020.
Note: we’re also hiring for other positions (https://www.fluentu.com/blog/jobs-at-fluentu/)
This job might be for you if you:
- love experimentation and exercising your creativity
- like being able to set your own hours and work from home
- don’t like drumming up new business or chasing down clients
- are tired of working on one-off projects that don’t build up to anything meaningful
- like working in a collaborative environment
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- want to make the world a better place
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment.
You should NOT take this job if you:
- are just looking for another client to add to your list of clients
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- are not comfortable in a fast-changing environment
- don’t have a real interest or experience in online education.
Founded in 2011, FluentU is an online education company that has been distributed/remote since day one. We help people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps), and Android app. we’re a profitable, stable, and growing company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs and have 100,000+ people on our email list.
This is a unique opportunity to be at the ground floor of our video strategy, which is still in the early stages.
It’s a unique opportunity to be part of a company which might be the perfect balance for you: still small/young enough to be nimble, but with the resources to take advantage of, and thrive in, this coronavirus-induced economic environment.
We also believe that the creative constraints posed by coronavirus is an opportunity to innovate with new types of videos.
WHAT THIS JOB IS ABOUT
We are looking for a part-time scriptwriter to help with writing videos related to business language learning. You don’t need any educational English experience as you will be working closely with an educational expert. We want to create original content that includes different business scenarios that will both engage and educate our viewers.
To give you a sense of our audience:
- They are highly educated advanced English learners
- Ages 15-50
- Working remotely in developing countries.
Here is an example of the type of content we’ve produced so far but we’re looking to write original scenarios to be intercut with the more educational aspects:
Here is an example of something that we haven’t produced which gives you the sense of tone and execution we’re looking for:
HOW WE WORK
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Almost all of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we value clear communication (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/communication-guidelines), among other things (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/mission-and-operating-principles).
- Most things are not urgent. We take pride in having a calm work environment.
- We also have a flat collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason.
- We believe in getting things done, candor, and continuous improvement.
Our ideal candidate:
- is experienced with script writing
- is able to balance educational content with an engaging story
- can work collaboratively with our educational expert
- receives candid feedback with humbleness and a beginner’s/growth mindset
- is comfortable with change and loves experimentation
- is looking for a meaningful mission and wants to create something great
- is able to work a minimum of 15 hours per week (pay is hourly: https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/why-we-have-hourly-pay-and-how-it-works-in-practice) and is looking for something long-term.
- If you’re also able to write copy, that is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out this form:
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn languages with real-world videos.