Compensation: Competitive, hourly rate
Employment Type: Freelance, part time
Title: Portuguese Translator
Are you passionate about language education?
Do you have excellent Brazilian Portuguese and English skills?
You might be the perfect person for this job!
We are looking for a Portuguese translator to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese and help create useful and interesting content for our users.
Update 09/21/2021: Please note that we are no longer accepting applications for this position. For more career opportunities at FluentU, visit our careers page here.
We are hiring a Portuguese translator, who can translate our English learning material into Brazilian Portuguese for our users.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Translating English learning content for Portuguese users: You will need to translate naturally, yet maintain 1:1 translation as well as you can. You should also be able to spot any errors/mistakes in English content you translate.
- Adapting to new software: Be ready to learn a variety of platforms through which we communicate and assign tasks. Previous experience with Asana and/or Slack is a plus.
- Work cooperatively with others: Collaborate with other editors to find the best ways to provide language learning services.
- A love of language education: We are looking for someone who is passionate about language education, and someone who believes in the positive impact it can have on language learners.
- Knowledge of Brazilian Portuguese and English language and language learning: You need to have a good understanding of Portuguese and English grammar and their structures.
- At least 1 year of experience in Brazilian Portuguese education/translation or linguistic fields: You will need to understand the Portuguese learner’s point of view to create content. Understanding the challenges that learners face and how to guide them are very important parts of the job.
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail: The content you curate will create a strong impression on our users and professionalism, along with accuracy in the completion of your work, is a must.
- The ability to work remotely with a team: Our team is distributed around the globe. While working remotely sounds great at first, if you haven’t done it before, you’ll find that there are many challenges and it’s not necessarily a perfect fit for everyone.
- Having a self-driven and productive attitude: You have to be able to get things done and be ready for a high level of freedom and responsibility.
- Strong written communications: Being an organized and clear communicator is key.
- Stable commitment: You should be able to work 10-15 hours per week on a regular, long-term basis.
Please note that there will be a test that simulates actual FluentU work, and that also the first 90 days are a trial period. If at any point either party thinks we are not a good fit for each other, they can end this process immediately. Passing the trial will result in an ongoing position at our company. Of course, you will get fully paid during the trial period.
To sum up: This is a chance to take a meaningful role in a startup that is on the cutting edge of language education. Perhaps the best part about working at FluentU is reading the user feedback and seeing what a huge impact you are making on their lives.
What Is FluentU?
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps), and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with a long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
FluentU is brought to you by a team of passionate language learners distributed around the world.
What’s It Like to Work at FluentU?
- We’re a 100% remote team with members all over the world
- All of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we have a low-stress, highly collaborative environment.
- Your workday is flexible—you decide when you work (as long as you get everything done on time!) and where you work (working from home, cafes, coworking spaces—are all welcome).
- Communication is key: Opinions and input are always welcome and encouraged.
- We offer constructive feedback and opportunities for growth.
- We are a friendly and dedicated team!
How to Apply
To apply for the Portuguese translator position, please click here and fill out the form.