This might be your lucky day.
What is FluentU?
FluentU is an education company (started in 2011) that helps people learn languages with real-world videos like movie trailers, music videos, news, and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-40 grossing iOS education apps), and a soon to be released Android app. Many people know us through our blog, which is visited ~8 million times every month (which makes it, as far as we know, the biggest language learning blog online).
Why would you want to work here?
- We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. We have a work style that a lot of developers might like (mainly communicate via text with very few or no calls/meetings).
- Have freedom to work when/where you want. We believe in hiring capable people who can largely manage themselves.
- We have a flat, collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason. We prioritize communicating clearly.
- You’ll be working in a small team of talented individuals.
- We’re a profitable, stable company with a long-term focus – proudly self-funded.
- We’re also growing fast, with lots of opportunities for growth for high performers. Not just within FluentU, but with other businesses that we start or acquire like Monitor Backlinks.
- We’re constantly evolving and learning – you will be too.
- We work reasonable/flexible hours.
Why wouldn’t you want to work here?
- We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Not the most social work environment. We mainly communicate via text with very few or no calls/meetings.
- We might not give as much hand holding as other companies. We don’t want to tell you exactly what to do.
- We can be direct with our feedback.
- With freedom comes responsibility and extra need for accountability. We’ll ask you to report # of hours worked and what you’ve accomplished each day.
- Things can change a lot – we are always experimenting and trying new things.
What is this job about? What is Special Projects?
This job is about Special Projects. You won’t be working with the main dev team that builds our product.
Instead, you’ll be working directly with the founder on special projects.
This includes things like:
- the content marketing platform that is the secret sauce behind our blog’s success. It’s basically a project management platform that lets us power a lot of blogs and publish hundreds of high quality posts every month. We might commercialize it in the future.
- mini-sites that will be used to get email subscribers (who can be persuaded to upgrade later).
The initial project for the foreseeable future will be the content marketing platform. It uses Laravel 5.6, Vue, Laravel Spark, Forge + Envoyer.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone who:
- is fluent in English
- has strong backend skills (PHP 7.0+ and Laravel)
- has reasonably good UX sense – can create user-friendly UIs based on requirements without detailed mockups (we don’t need to create UIs from scratch but ideally you would be able to create new pages based on other designs.)
- writes clean, high-quality, well-documented code
- can work 40 hours per week on a regular
- someone with at least 4 hours overlap with the Seoul time is preferred (but not required)
- no agencies please
How to apply
If you’re interested, please send an email to alan [at] fluentu [dot] com with:
- your resume and experience
- code samples
- examples of front-ends that you coded
- your requested hourly rate
- your availability
The way that our hiring works is in a few phases:
- We’ll reply to your email with some initial questions.
- We’ll schedule a skype call with you.
- We’ll set up a 10 hour fully paid test project with you.
- Within a few weeks after the fully paid test project, we’ll let you know if we’ll proceed to work together.
- When we start working together, the first 2 months will also be a fully paid trial (but you will be doing the actual work).
If at any point we find that it’s not a good match (even during the test project), we’ll let you know as soon as possible and pay you for all the work done up to that point. If it’s the case that it’s not a good fit, we don’t want to waste your time.
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn languages with real-world videos.