Are you experienced with all aspects of podcast creation and production?
Are you passionate about online education?
Are you tired of working with startups in danger of going out of business, or bureaucratic, huge businesses?
Do you want to reach and make a positive impact on millions of people?
Note: this post was last updated on June 7, 2020.
Note: we’re also hiring for other positions (
This job might be for you if you:
- love experimentation and exercising your creativity
- are a broad thinker who is able to see the connections between things like language education, audio editing, podcast production
- like being able to set your own hours and work from home
- don’t like drumming up new business or chasing down clients
- are tired of working on one-off projects that don’t build up to anything meaningful
- like having responsibility
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- want to make the world a better place
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment.
You should NOT take this job if you:
- are just looking for another client to add to your list of clients
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- want a narrowly defined role and like narrowly defined problems
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- are not comfortable in a fast-changing environment
- don’t have a real interest or experience in online education.
Founded in 2011, FluentU is an online education company that has been distributed/remote since day one. We help people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps), and Android app. we’re a profitable, stable, and growing company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs and have 100,000+ people on our email list.
This is a unique opportunity to be at the ground floor of our podcast strategy, which is still in the early stages – we don’t have any podcasts yet.
It’s a unique opportunity to be part of a company which might be the perfect balance for you: still small/young enough to be nimble, but with the resources to take advantage of, and thrive in, this coronavirus-induced economic environment.
WHAT THIS JOB IS ABOUT
This job is about being the main producer behind our podcasts.
These podcasts should fulfill our business goals in helping promote our apps and not be personality driven – aside from that, you will have broad freedom to create something that great.
You would also work directly with the founder (https://www.linkedin.com/in/alancpark/) in this position. You could think of the founder’s role as an “executive producer” who provides business input in this context.
The day to day activities would include:
- providing overall guidance / standards / coherence on our creative direction
- helping attract/hire/select/vet podcast team members, which includes creators (ie. talent) and editors
- helping guide overall content strategy/direction (what should we make?) based on data and our business priorities
- shepherding podcast creation from start to finish
- giving guidance and constructive feedback on improving scripts, editing, and audio quality
- assessing/analyzing content performance and making continuous improvements
- evaluating, recommending, and implementing process improvements to improve efficiency and our podcast team experience
HOW WE WORK
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Almost all of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we value clear communication (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/communication-guidelines), among other things (https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/mission-and-operating-principles).
- Most things are not urgent. We take pride in having a calm work environment.
- We also have a flat collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason.
- We believe in getting things done, candor, and continuous improvement.
Our ideal candidate:
- has experience as a podcast editor or producer
- delivers candid feedback in a way that lands softly
- receives candid feedback with humbleness and a beginner’s/growth mindset
- is scrappy and happy to get their hands dirty when necessary
- has business acumen and understands that we are a business and not purely an artistic enterprise
- understands pedagogy and how to make educational podcasts
- is comfortable with change and loves experimentation
- is looking for a meaningful mission and wants to create something great.
- is able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week (pay is hourly: https://app.tettra.co/teams/fluentu/pages/why-we-have-hourly-pay-and-how-it-works-in-practice) and is looking for something long-term.