FluentU is hiring blog editors to help create the best language learning blogs the internet has ever seen!
We’re an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a popular website, iOS app and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
The FluentU blog draws 5 million readers per month with a wide variety of language learning topics. Our team of talented, passionate writers is currently creating content for the following blogs:
Role: Blog Editor
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate
Location: Anywhere, remote
Employment Type: Part time or full time (minimum 25 hours/week, 30+ preferred)
As a FluentU blog editor, your main tasks will be:
1. copyediting and proofreading blog content so it meets all our style and content standards
The FluentU style/content standards will be your go-to guide—it covers everything from how to use Oxford commas to how to entertain readers and how to teach languages effectively via blog content. It’s our secret formula for drawing tons of readers and providing them with incredible language lessons that keep them coming back for more.
You’ll need to be able to digest this guide and implement it to. the. letter. You’ve got to be a stickler for the details.
2. providing constructive feedback to writers on their content, writing style, and technical accuracy
It’s one thing to just tweak and polish blog posts. It’s quite another to provide feedback to writers that ups their game. You should be able to build a rapport with writers, while also being unafraid to deliver honest, constructive criticism when needed.
3. collaborating with the blog team’s Marketing Manager to plan and execute our content strategy
You’ll help our team brainstorm new topics for our audience of language learners. What are their burning questions? How can we provide the best possible answer to those questions?
It turns out that modern language learners love to ask their questions online. So things like keywords and search traffic do matter to our blog team—they let us know what information language learners want to find. You’ll explore data, research keywords and use that as a springboard to plan content strategy.
You might be a great fit for our blog editor role if you:
- have an incessant need for perfection in the written word: You care deeply about punctuation, em-dashes and capitalization, and at some point someone has jokingly called you the “grammar police.” In fact, you’re so tireless that you’ve probably caught several typos in this job posting that I missed.
- are capable of writing crisp and clear copy at the level of a native English speaker: You’ll have free rein with our content, and at times may need to write or rewrite content to make our blog the best it can possibly be.
- are tech-savvy: We love trying new tools to improve our content and to streamline/automate our processes. Prior experience with WordPress and Asana may win you some bonus points as a blog editor candidate, but it’s not required. It’s more important that you’re tech-savvy enough to quickly learn any digital tool that is handed to you.
- enjoy brainstorming and researching new blog content: You have at least basic knowledge of SEO. You’re able to combine data with creative, out-of-the-box thinking to figure out which topics our language learning audience will truly enjoy reading about.
- have some experience with language learning: You don’t have to be fluent, but ideally you’ve consumed enough language blogs, textbooks or courses to know what makes a language lesson effective and enjoyable to read.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the blog editor role, please click here to fill out the application.
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn languages with real-world videos.