Do you have experience teaching English or learning foreign languages?
Are you ready to move on from live classes and try something new?
Do you want to reach and impact millions of people?
Note 1: Not experienced with video? This position might be a better fit for you.
Note 2: this post was last updated on May 30, 2020.
Note 3: we’re also hiring for other positions.
This job might be for you if you:
- aren’t shy about recording your voice or going on camera
- like exercising your creativity and trying new things
- like working collaboratively
- like being able to set your own hours and work from home
- like having a dependable, reliable stream of work
- don’t want to do live calls with students or parents
- are comfortable with a fast-changing environment.
You should NOT take this job if you:
- are uncomfortable with the idea of being recorded or going on camera
- have a strong need/desire for in-person social interaction at work
- like following instructions and being told what to do
- don’t like needing to come up with ideas
- are not comfortable in a fast-changing environment
- don’t have a real interest or experience in language education.
FluentU is an online education company that helps people learn languages with real-world videos, including movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. We have a website, iOS app (usually in the top 20-50 grossing iOS education apps), and Android app. Founded in 2011, we’re a profitable, stable company with long-term focus, and we’re proudly self-funded.
We get 5 million visitors per month on our blogs, and we’re leveraging that to extend our reach on YouTube.
This is a unique opportunity to have a big impact on our YouTube strategy, which is in the early stages.
You would help us make YouTube videos like the following:
Learn English with Will Smith: The Pursuit of Happyness
Learn English with Movies: Office Space
You would also help us create paid English courses like:
As a video creator and educator, you would be responsible for:
- Coming up with great video and curriculum ideas
- Writing high-quality video scripts
- Recording voiceovers
- Being on camera to host videos
- Coordinating with our video editors to bring your videos to life
(If you are a video editor, then please also apply to this position instead.)
We’re doing a broad range of videos that include:
- series videos, where we go through popular scripts
- teaching vocabulary and grammar with whiteboard animation
- lessons taught by an on-camera teacher.
- and of course we’re open to new formats/ideas.
You would work closely with the founder of FluentU.
If you do a great job and our video content is successful, this has the potential to become a full-time/long-term collaboration.
HOW WE WORK
We’re a 100% distributed/remote team. Here’s a little bit more about how we work:
- Almost all of our communication is text-based (mostly via Asana) and we value clear communication.
- Most things are not urgent. We take pride in having a calm work environment.
- We also have a flat collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason.
- We believe in getting things done and continuous improvement.
Our ideal candidate:
- has experience with being on video, or recording your voice.
- has a home setup for audio/video recording.
- is a fast learner who is willing to put in the work to figure it out.
- is comfortable recording your voice and/or going on camera.
- writes and speaks English like a native speaker
- is terrific at written communication.
- has experience teaching or learning English, Spanish, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, or Italian
- is able to work a minimum of 15 hours per week (pay is hourly). Full-time is even better.
HOW TO APPLY
If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to teach English with real-world videos.