We’ve learned not to confuse “soup” for “sugar” or “church” for “caramel” in Chinese from last time’s fayin messups post. From a lot of our language learner interviews, we know that pronunciation is important. Here are some more entertaining stories related to food (since we aren’t done eating despite the Thanksgiving feast) of why! [...]
Tag Archives | funny stories
Tones and characters and chengyu, oh my! Pinyin and stroke order and final particles? OH MY!! There are so many things that can make learning Chinese tricky. One of the main challenges for an English speaker tackling this beast is understanding the different tones and having proper pronunciation (标准发音 －biāo zhǔn fā yīn). Yes, they do [...]
Subscribe / Connect
We curate the web's best tips on learning Chinese and deliver them to your inbox
Try FluentU for Free
This is a blog on learning Chinese by FluentU.
FluentU brings Chinese to life with real-world videos.
- Essential Chengyu
- Quick Guide to Learning Chinese Through Movies
- How to Speak Chinese Fluently
- Get Early Access to the FluentU App!
- 9 Ways to Say Goodbye in Chinese
- 24 Chinese Slang Phrases You Should Know
- Business Chinese Vocabulary List: Job Titles and Positions
- A Secret Technique for Chinese Fluency: Sentence Mining